Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Children of Hurin!

I finished reading Children of Hurin recently. Its a book which was left incomplete by the legendary author of the Lord of The Rings fame - JRR Tolkien. It was completed by his son Christopher Tolkien.

Children of Hurin is based in the Elder Days even before Elrond. In this story Hurin refuses to submit to the then Dark Lord- Morgoroth. The repercussions were to be suffered by his kin. Morgoroth had cursed his kin....Hence the name Children of Hurin- their journey & their sufferings.

Before reading the book, I was skeptical. I thought the JRR Tolkien essence would be lost in so many years. But Christopher Tolkien has done a good job. It definetly has that ancient feel to it.

But I wasnt thoroughly impressed by the book. The storyline was not thrilling or suspenseful. It just existed as it was...clear as crystal...There were many twists in the story but even they failed to capture my interest. I wouldnt recommend it even for a one time read....

No comments: