Friday, July 6, 2007

Bartoli ruins Henin's chances for her only Wimbledon win!



This was one of the biggest upsets of Wimbledon 07. The 22 year old Marion Bartoli from France beat World no 1 Justin Henin in 3 sets 1-6 , 7-5 , 6-1. I didnt even watch the 1st two sets of the match. I thought Henin would have a comfortable victory. When i saw the 3rd set I was shocked Bartoli was making Henin run through entire breadth of the court.
Bartoli's game is uncoventional. She hits with both her hands, her wrist movement on service is different. She plays a very slow game I think & she doesnt even have those big shots like Henin. But she's a thinking player. If you have seen her game you will understand what I mean.
Henin must have been really upset because she was playing a great game. I thought I would have been upset too because I'm a fan of hers. But i couldnt stop from applauding for Bartoli. It was her first time playing in centre court. In her after match interview she said that Pierce Brosnan,who was present during the match acted like a lucky charm for her. She said she loved the actor & if she plays well may be she'll be able to impress him. Also she hopes that it would be great if he turns up for the finals against Venus as well. For someone who has never been past the quarterlies in a grand slam this is a big achievement. Todays final match would be an interesting spectacle, with Venus being in top form & Bartoli looking like "nothing can go wrong" !

No comments: